Wise and Foolish Builders

5:26 PM 0 Comments


Here’s the Lord speaking to the most religious people possible. Or to the believers, Jesus says, “The problem is you call me Lord but you don’t do what I say.” That’s the problem. I’m not looking for your curiosity, I’m not looking for your fascination. I’m not looking for your admiration. I’m telling you what it is to be a true follower. But He says it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t do what I say.

What Jesus is saying is, you have to recognize your sin, admit your faults and weaknesses, since no one in this world is perfect. Accept and see that you are prisoners, blind and oppressed, that you are the poor, that you are the hungry, that you are starving spiritually, that you are the sad over whose lives there should be endless mourning because of your alienation from God. He says, “I’m telling you, you’ve got to look at yourself and see yourself as a sinner, then you’ve got to look at me and see me as your Lord and cry out to God for mercy.”

Jesus gives an illustration that is unforgettable. “The one who comes to Me hears My words and acts upon them,” that’s obedience, “I’ll show you whom he’s like. He’s like a man building a house who dug deep,” that’s kind of the idea of repentance, asking God's forgiveness and shun away from them. And getting really down to the realities of my own life and down also deep into the truth of God, “and laid a foundation upon the rock.” Jesus is the rock of my life!